A liver biopsy surgery is done using a needle inserted between two of the right lower ribs for removing a sample of the liver tissue. The tissue sample is sent to a laboratory and looked under a microscope to see if there are any liver problems. When the liver blood tests are abnormal, a liver biopsy may be done. It may be done when an X-ray, an ultrasound or CT scan shows a problem with the liver. A liver biopsy can be done to find the cause of jaundice or to check hepatitis, cirrhosis or liver cancer.
Purpose of Procedure
The purpose of procedure is to:
- Find the cause of jaundice: A liver biopsy can find certain liver diseases such as cirrhosis, liver tumors and infections such as hepatitis
- Find the cause of abnormal blood tests results from ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase (AST) tests. Both the leves show the liver damage and helps to confirm liver disease.
- See whether other liver conditions such as Wilson’s disease and hemochromatosis are present.
- See how much liver is inflamed or scarred by hepatitis or other live diseases.
- Check the response to treatment for the liver diseases.
- Check the function of a transplanted liver.
- Determine whether a medicine such as methotrexate causes a toxic effect on the liver.
- Check a liver mass found on an X-ray, CT scan or ultrasound.
- Find the cause of an unexplained and ongoing fever.
The advantages are:
- Detects the presence of the abnormal cells in the liver such as cancer cells
- Evaluates the disease processes such as cirrhosis
- Don’t need much preparation on the part of the patient
Best Recommended Surgeons
The best recommended surgeons in India are highly skilled, qualified from the top medical schools in India and abroad. They have vast experience performing the surgery with excellent outcomes.
Healthcare Team and Options
India Laparoscopy Surgery Site is the best healthcare team having association with the best recommended surgeons. Send us your query to get your liver biopsy surgery in India.
More About Liver Biopsy. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started this blog and what you plan to do with it.